Translate

segunda-feira, 9 de fevereiro de 2015

Review - Into the Woods

Into the Woods
Directed by: Rob Marshal
Written by: James Lapine
Distributed by: Walt Disney Pictures
Genre: Fantasy, Musical, Family
Rating: PG
UK Release date: 9th January 2015
Runtime: 125 mins
My rating: *****

Synopsis: "Into the Woods" is a modern twist on several of the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tales, intertwining the plots of a few choice stories and exploring the consequences of the characters' wishes and quests. This humorous and heartfelt musical follows the classic tales of Cinderella (Anna Kendrick), Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford), Jack and the Beanstalk (Daniel Huttlestone), and Rapunzel (MacKenzie Mauzy)-all tied together by an original story involving a baker and his wife (James Corden & Emily Blunt), their wish to begin a family and their interaction with the witch (Meryl Streep) who has put a curse on them. 

WOW!
       I must admit I do quite like musicals and this movie actually surprised me. It must have been from the trailer that I originally didn’t pick up that this was actually a musical until some of my friends told me it. I was quite hesitant but the movie managed to get me hooked from the first minute. I absolutely loved it and it is definitely on my top 20 movies! (Although I still think Maleficent is better! :p )
       I loved the fact that they managed to combine 5 different fairy-tales and make a musical out of it! The actors were well chosen and suited well their roles, even if they put a bit too much emphasis on Johnny Depp when he only shows up for about 10 minutes altogether. I also found that they had an unnecessary scene, a song with the two princes that seemed to have been too much since they are more of secondary characters, so again they seem to have put unnecessary emphasis on the wrong characters. But nonetheless, this is still an amazing movie.
      I was quite surprised at the length of the movie and yet it did not weigh on the viewer. It was very easy to watch. The scenes were really beautiful and really made it feel fairy-tale like.

I’m hoping to see the stage play! And I most definitely recommend watching it! :D